Thursday, February 01, 2007

 
I know I haven't updated this blog in forever--life has been pretty busy lately. Also, I don't have a computer at the moment.

Everything is going wonderfully. I'm taking Bio 102 and chem 102 (the second semesters of intro bio and intro chem--chem is technically "chemical reactivity" I believe), humanities 110 (which is on Ancient Rome), and intro to Ancient Christianity. We're studying developmental biology right now and the teacher is fantastic. He's just hilarious and acts out fertilization and protection against polyspermy through the viteline (I can never spell this word) envelope by running around with a paper towel roll on his head. Intro to Ancient Christianity is a really good class. We have a really heavy reading load, but the material is interesting. It's a little intimidating that a lot of people who have taken more social science classes than me keep throwing out names like Durkheim and terms like cognitive dissonance theory and functionalism, but I'm picking up the ideas pretty well. Plus, it complements hum quite nicely--we're learning a little about Geertz/religion and symbol and later we're studying the Jews and early Christians and reading parts of the Bible. The second day of class the professor assigned an absurd amount of reading, and half the people dropped, and we don't have that heavy of reading assignments for a while. Which, I suppose, is a good way of weeding out people.

I think the best part about taking two lab classes and two reading classes is that I am really feeling like I genuinely enjoy academics in general, and enjoy learning about all subjects. It's really a very nice balance.

I'm still training at the nuclear reactor. We're going to have NRC practice walk through exams for an hour a week starting next week. I also am going to do a project involving neutron activation analysis to determine what elements are in a substance (the idea right now is vitamin supplements and compairing that to the information on the label). Also, I'm doing orchestra and chorus (we're playing/singing Brahms) and taking private flute lessons (I'm learning a duet by Kuhlou). Oh, and I'm learning how to bellydance for PE credit!

I'm getting everything done, getting enough sleep, and staying sane for the most part, though, which is really just a matter of learning how to manage my time well. I think having my computer out at the moment is helping. Heh.

People seem to be getting happier as it gets sunnier. It's still pretty cold, though.

I think that's all for now.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?